In a production plant for complex assembled products there could be up to several hundred robots used for handling and joining operations. Thus, improvements in robot motion can have a huge impact on equipment utilization and energy consumption. By combining recent algorithms for collision free numerical optimal control and for optimal sequencing, we are able to cut down on energy consumption without sacrificing cycle time. The algorithm has been successfully applied to several industrial cases demonstrating that the proposed method can be used effectively in practical applications to find fast and energy efficient solutions.
Authors and Affiliations
- Staffan Björkenstam, Fraunhofer-Chalmers Centre
- Domenico Spensieri, Fraunhofer-Chalmers Centre
- Johan S. Carlson, Fraunhofer-Chalmers Centre
- Robert Bohlin, Fraunhofer-Chalmers Centre
- Daniel Gleeson, Fraunhofer-Chalmers Centre